Many homeowners are making the switch to using solar panels for their energy needs. Solar power is a technology that uses a clean, renewable energy source to supply electricity while reducing energy expenses in homes by thousands of dollars.
With the correct solar battery, you can tap into that power whenever you want. Discover how to choose the right solar battery for your home with our helpful guide.
What Is a Solar Battery?
Solar batteries allow you to save the energy produced by your solar panels for future usage. Combining solar panels with solar batteries forms a hybrid solar system with a variety of benefits, including access to dependable backup power and utility freedom. You can make sure that your home has power when you need it most by adding a battery backup for your home solar system.
How Does the Battery Work?
You will find the solar battery close to your distribution panel. The solar battery receives power from your solar panels and serves as a buffer between your distribution panel and your home. If there’s an electrical outage, your solar battery activates and disconnects from the distribution grid for safety reasons.
You can then have it connected to the rooms and appliances you feel are most critical for you to access. Your battery then draws electricity, and your house keeps running during a power outage or blackout.
What To Look For When Adding One to Your Home
When figuring out how to choose the right solar battery for your home, there are several factors you should consider. Here are some of the features you need to consider:
- Look for batteries with upgradeable modules that you may add and remove as needed to tailor battery capacity and backup power for your specific applications.
- Find a battery with a high power rating if you need to power more rooms.
- Figure out whether you want to place your battery indoors or outdoors. Batteries will be rated IR (Indoor Rated) or OR (Outdoor Rated) to let you know what type of enclosure is best. Some batteries are suitable for both.
- Ambient temperature is the average air temperature surrounding the battery. If you live in a region that experiences severe temperatures, look for the ambient rating that shows the best temperatures at which the battery will work properly.
- Pay attention to the dimensions of the battery and check if you have the proper storage space for it.
These are just a few of the considerations that can help you in selecting the best solar battery. When you’re ready to add a solar backup battery pack, the experts at Monkey Industrial Supply can help you choose the right one for you. Feel free to contact us with any questions about our products.